This recipe was inspired by a salad I had at a takeaway in Perth. It was so simple, basically just lettuce, chicken and a few walnuts, but the dressing was what really made it special, turning a boring side salad into a delicious main meal. This recipe is for a single serving, but you can easily multiply the amounts to make enough for a family.
Chicken Walnut Salad with Creamy Mayo Dressing
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Large handful of fresh mint and oregano, finely chopped.
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup mixed lettuce
- 50-100g cooked chicken (I normally use leftover roast chicken)
- 1/2 a Lebanese cucumber
- 1/2 carrot
- A handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Add the mayonnaise to a small jug, and slowly pour in the olive oil, mixing well while you pour. If it seems to thick, add a little more olive oil.
- Add the herbs and pepper and mix well until combined. Refrigerate while you make the salad.
- Place the lettuce in a bowl. Chop up the cucumber, carrot and chicken and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the salad, then pour the dressing over.
- Eat it and feel smug ’cause you’re being all healthy eating salad for lunch.